Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Is This Particular to St. Louis?

Tonight I made pizza, but I couldn't find the pizza cutter in the overstuffed drawer of utensils. I chopped the pizza into slices with a knife instead, while commenting, "I can't find the pizza cutter, and I'll be damned if I'll use scissors."

This innocuous statement had my husband rolling with laughter. He's been married to me for 14 years, and he's never heard if pizza scissors???

For those of you who don't live in St. Louis... or for those of you who do, but have some class; here's the deal. South Siders will go and buy a knife block at K-Mart or WalMart or wherever, and the knife set comes with a pair of scissors. Now, I know, and you know that the scissors are for cutting things open. South Siders, however, seem to think the scissors are for cutting pizza. Everyone in my neighborhood had a pair of pizza scissors. I'd have friends over, and make pizza, and they'd ask, "Where's your pizza scissors?" To which I'd reply, "I dunno. Use the pizza cutter."

I refuse to use kitchen scissors to cut pizza. Yes, I do use tools for things they weren't designed for. I'm silly that way. The ice cream scoop has a dent in it because I used it as a hammer. I've mangled knives by using them as screwdrivers, and one of the teaspoons has nicks all around the edge for some reason. But really... I would never "slice" a pizza with scissors.

No comments: