Wednesday, December 17, 2003

How Disappointing

This morning I watched CNN broadcasting live from Kitty Hawk. I enjoyed their discussions about the measly 12 hp engine the Wright Flier had. I was amused that the plane needed a 20 - 30 mph headwind just to get off the ground. I waited for Bush's speech, hoping to hear in it some commitment to spaceflight.

That smug little bastard acknowledged the presence of a number of astronauts and NASA officials, rambled on about history, and never said what I wanted to hear. The closest he came was his assertion that America would remain the leaders of flight.

I wanted to hear something, anything about high tech flight. I would have been happy with a comment on ballistic shuttles. I would have preferred a strong commitment to NASA. Best of all (and most appropriate to his speech) would have been the expression of his support towards commercial spaceflight.

He could have talked about enterprising men and women facing down the so-called "impossible"; succeeding despite the voices of the experts. He could have acknowledged the Wright brothers creation of something that went on to be a valuable addition to our nation, and our world. He could have go on to say that there are people right now taking the next big step, the step from the sky to the stars. He could have pledged his support of the American teams competing for the X-Prize.

He could have. He didn't.

No comments: