Friday, December 05, 2003

Free Issues
I like that I can categorize my posts. That way my readers can skip the bullshit and go straight to the rants. This particular rant is about a free issue of a magazine my mom received in the mail. The Latin Mass is supposedly a Catholic Magazine filled with interesting and well researched articles. Yeah. Uh huh.
My mother, the devout Catholic, who prays daily for my Pagan soul; skimmed the magazine and decided it didn't concur with her beliefs. She wants to read the whole thing through, though; because of the 7 page article (in small print, even) about Goddess Worship.
Yesterday mom handed me the magazine, folded open at the start of the article. She said, "I haven't read more than the first few paragraphs of this, but I find it offensive."
What? My mother finds something Catholic offensive? This I have to read! I will link to the article in it's entirety whenever I get around to putting it on the Bitparts website. The gist of the article is that "Goddess Worshipers" are trying to take over religion. It's rather fear oriented.
I found it interesting that they carefully explained the history of modern Wicca, and then shoved in blatant lies in psychologically approved sections. The whole thing seemed designed to suck otherwise intelligent Catholics into the history of the neo-pagan movement, and then make them afraid.
I don't understand why Catholics should be afraid of a mere 2% of the American population. And a peaceful 2% at that. (Based on a stat in the article of 735,000 pagans in the US)
The article asked these questions: "What is this 'Goddess'?" "Who are her apostles?" "What do they evengelise for?"
The "Goddess" does not have apostles. Pagans do not evangelise. Pagans don't like evangelism. Scary stuff. Of course, what do you expect from a publication endorsed by Patrick J. Buchanan ?

No comments: