Friday, December 19, 2003

Double Damn
A here's my life bitch-rant

Last night my cousin called, and I agreed to baby-sit her youngest before I understood what I was agreeing to. I could have backed out. I could have said, "...babysitting? I don't do that." And I didn't. She needed me, I said yes, that was that.
Later that night I went upstairs to go to bed. I saw light around L's doorframe and thought, "Ha! I'm gonna bust him for being awake at 12:30 at night!" I opened his door, got as far as the "you're" in "You're busted kiddo!" and saw that he was sick.
Damn.
Today was supposed to be a half day of Christmas partying at school, and he's sick. I dosed him with liquid ibuprofen and crossed my fingers. I'd hoped he would be good for school in the morning. No such luck. He was up at 5 in the morning. He didn't wake me, he just turned his light on, spritzed his throat with Chloraseptic, and sat at his computer; waiting. (He's really growing up. I'm so proud of him)
So now I'm in a quandry. I have committed to babysitting. It's the last day of school. I have my first non-hubby honest to goodness real massage in a month, and my son is sick.
I don't want to share his stuffy, runny nose, horrible throat irritation and hacking cough with anyone. What do I do?
I have commitments, damnit! And my son is my most important commitment. Everything else is secondary. (Well, ok... Son and Hubby tie for first place)
I called my cousin and told her L was sick. She got mad, but otherwise took it well. She has commitments too. She's room mother for her eldest child. She promised to be there for his Christmas party. She can't bring her toddler to the 5th grade party. This cold's timing has screwed her too. My whole day has changed direction.
I meekly bow my head and say, "Thank you, Eris."

No comments: