Friday, November 14, 2003

My Gods, what a beautiful post!

This morning I'm blog hopping "pagan mommy blog". I'm currently browsing the blog, Practical Wicca. In this post, she gives an exercise that just rocks. She talks about the "K" that people add to "magic", to distinguish it from sleight of hand, et al. I loved it!

Now, I've never been one to deliberately misspell words. As a matter of fact, it drives me up a wall when I've found that I've accidentally misspelled a word. And, I never looked beyond my insistence for spelling magic, "magic". Somewhere deep down, I know that I spell it that way because I see no significant difference between pulling a rabbit out of a hat, and pulling a need out of thin air. Both magics need set up, clarity of mind and practiced skill.

Go read the whole post. Here's a teaser:
"Yet, we're still complicating matters by adding a 'K' onto the end of the word 'Magic'. Even though we've taken on a great deal of perception-changing ideals, we can't manage to bring ourselves to change our own perception of the word 'Magic', much less anyone else's.

The simple fact that we have a special word means that we have special jargon, and the only reason that jargon has ever existed is to make other people feel left out, or in the dark. It is the reason that people in marketing use words like 'Dashboard' and 'Bird Seed' when they could simply say 'Agenda' and 'Legal Text' and still get across exactly what it is they are trying to say. The jargon makes them feel bigger and other people feel as if someone just tried to give them directions to Timbukto with a ball of cotton in their mouth. Confused. "

No comments: