Thursday, November 27, 2003

It is proving to be an interesting morning

Last night I set the alarm for too-early-on-a-vacation-day, and put myself to sleep with visions of stuffing dancing in my head.

This morning, I woke before the alarm. I woke because my son used the bathroom. No biggie, I think. It's only 15 minutes 'til the alarm goes off. He was just my pre alarm. I lounged in bed until the alarm went off, and even hit the snooze button. I was living on the hopeful side.

I switched the alarm off a few minutes later, got out of bed, and realized my hubby was trying to wake himself too. I petted his back and told him he didn't have to get up. After all, it only takes one person to prep a turkey, and the rest of the cooking would be done later in the day. to tell you the truth, I was really looking forward to doing the whole Thanksgiving dinner myself.

So, I installed Sim City on my son's computer and fetched the turkey from the downstairs refrigerator. 5 days ago, I had set the bird on an empty pizza box in the fridge. There was a method to this madness. If the turkey bag had a hole in it, the pizza box would absorb any juice that might leak out. This would save me endless cleaning troubles. I was being prepared, you see.
The bag was hole-less, and the pizza box was nice and stiff instead of soggy and pink. Woo Hoo, I thought. For once, I'm going to have a mess free thanksgiving morning! But when I pulled the turkey out, the bag caught on the pizza box somehow, and tore a tiny little hole. I found that I had cold pink juice pouring on the floor.
I plugged the leak with my finger, rushed the bird upstairs (while trying not to trip over my skirt) and dumped it in the sink. Then I cleaned up the mess. You would think the Honeysuckle company would use sturdier bags.
Actually, they do use sturdy bags. I had a tough time cutting the rest of the bag, although that may have had something to do with trying to cut the bag, but not the bird. Meanwhile, the cat is prowling under my feet, meowing and looking hopeful. She does this whenever I have meat around. I always throw her a scrap or two, and she always sniffs it and tries to bury it. But if I toss it far enough away from my prep space, I don't have to worry about stepping on her.
I decided I'd offer Friday the liver. She might really like it. I gave her some chicken liver once, and not only did she eat it; she licked the floor afterwards. I opened the giblets bag, and there was no turkey liver. (sigh) I offered Friday the kidneys on a plate instead. She sniffed the plate and reached out her paw to bury the kidneys, so I snatched the plate away from her.
Meanwhile, some buttwipe is squealing his tires through the neighborhood. At 9 o'clock in the morning.
So the turkey is in the oven, the giblets are simmering their way to broth land, and I have a good half hour to blog before decorating the dining room table. I'm blogging away when Hubby's cell phone rings. One of the servers is down. He'll have to go in to work and fix it. I can imagine him harvesting bits from less important computers as I type. My poor hubby.
Yes, I believe this will be an interesting day.

No comments: