Monday, October 20, 2003

Proof that a high IQ doesn't mean you can think of everything

I can't believe I didn't think of this ever. I mean really! I checked out a blog titled The Smallest Minority, thinking in my vain way that it would be about redheads. I was wrong, but no matter. The author is all for gun rights. The side blog says, "INVITATION: If you have never shot a firearm, regardless of your position on the right to arms, and if you live near or visit the Tucson, AZ metropolitan area, I invite you to go shooting for a day. I will provide the arms, ammunition, targets, safety equipment, range fees and instruction.
All you have to do is show up.
2 Takers To Date"
This catches my interest, so I read on...
There's a nice rant about Democrats being just as fundamentalist as Republicans. He's quoting others, and now I'm quoting him. I'm part of a cycle! Anyway, within the post is a bit about affirmative action. Before I quote his quoting, I'm going to rant myself. I think affirmative action is a bad idea. I think it perpetuates a bad situation. Growing up in a poor white trash neighborhood taught me nothing about "other races". It only taught me the neighborhood-standard way to treat "them" in public. It's not pretty, and I'm not proud of it. Way back when Roots was on TV, I apologized to a black girl that I'd been playing with. I told her I was sorry for what my ancestors had done to her ancestors. My dad pulled me out of the pool and spanked me so hard I hurt for days. No exaggeration. I don't remember the pain as well as I remember him yelling, "We never apologize to black people!" each time he hit me. He made me repeat it back to him until I could say it without crying.

I'm a Taurus, and a redhead. I'm very stubborn, but I'm not stupid. I repeated his words, and each time I said them I hated him more. I silently vowed I'd find that girl the next time we went to the pool and become her best friend, just to spite him. I'd apologize as often as I wanted to. I'd just make sure he wasn't around to hear me.

Of course, dad took off before I could find her again, so the idea was moot. Probably a good thing. Even an 8 year old shouldn't make "friends" for revenge.

OK, got way off subject there. I meant to say I learned a lot from sesame street. That most awesome of PBS shows was filled with children playing together. Children in wondrous variety. Sesame Street did not segregate, and only began discussing race after I was too old to watch. They never mentioned differences in "race" I never saw 3 white kids and one black kid when they sang "One of These Things Is Not Like The Others". There was no distinction.
Hence, I see no distinction. I have my prejudices. Damn right I do! I pre-judge people who walk in the middle of the street, like the sidewalk is not good enough for them. I pre-judge people who dress like a stereotypical anything. From gang-bangers to Madonna wannabes, I mentally belittle them all. Once again, I'm not proud of it.

And, in affirmative action I see prejudice. Plain and simple. To me, affirmative action says "white people can't help but be prejudiced, and non-white people can't help but be victims". It pisses me off! How dare our government treat anyone like helpless victims!
Affirmative action is not right action. And it's what we've got right now. I don't think things should go back to where they were 50 years ago, but I do think that if we're going to take 50 years to "fix" something, there's a better way. Affirmative action builds resentment, creates division and suppresses free thought.

You can take away my soapbox, I won't be needing it for a bit. If you've read this far, here's what started the whole thing. I can't believe I never thought of this... "(Democrats believe)...Blacks and Hispanics, no matter how well off, simply can't keep up with white students; they need help. Note that the logical alternative-- basing affirmative action on poverty-- is scoffed at."

Beautiful!

No comments: