Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bad Mommy Activity
.
Yep. That's me. After 14 years of mommyhood, a piece of my past reached out and slapped me in the face; and I reacted without thinking what I might be teaching my son.
He was shocked by my reaction. I suppose it's all well and good for him to know I'm writing a book about growing up in the inner city; and he loves my amusing stories of bar fights, race wars, and the things kids did with explosives. But I never told him the pervert stories. So he never knew just how deeply the neighborhood pervs affected me. How miserable they made the neighborhood that I played in.

It wasn't even that great an act of perversion. It was just one step over the line of Shit I Never Wanted My Child To See (tm)

What happened was, I went to the ATM for lunch money for L. Some guy was standing in the middle of the parking lot, talking on a cell phone and urinating.

There was a freaking gas station 300 ft. away. There was a video store and grocery store even closer. He couldn't walk to the fucking bathroom? No. He was rotating so that drivers on both Loughborough and Morganford could see him. He wanted to be seen.

And because I'm a bit of a coward, I drove up to the atm and didn't start expressing my opinion until I was hidden from view. I knew in my heart that you can't give these people any recognition whatsoever; yet I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I stated loudly that pissing in public is assinine. That there were at least 3 bathrooms within walking distance. What? He couldn't hold it? Perhaps his prostate was bothering him. Asshole.
Secretly I was fighting the urge to get out of the truck and get in his face. I wanted to grab the piece of anatomy in use, pull him close to my face and cuss at him 'til he squirmed for release. Even though that's the exact wrong thing to do. I suddenly remembered my mom dealing with a similar situation. In my head, I clearly saw her cross the street, walk up to the guy, and stare interestedly at the stream of urine. When he stopped (almost immediately) she said, "You wanted to be watched. I thought I'd give you a proper audience." Then she turned her back on him and walked back to my sister and I. Damn, my mom was cool.

Remembering that, I smiled. I finished my ATM business and drove away. I even looked at the guy as we passed. He was sitting in his truck by then, still on the phone. Strange.

What really pisses me off (no pun intended) is that I let it get to me. In front of my son, no less.

No comments: