Thursday, September 15, 2005

Yeee-sush!
.
And ouch, too! I had my first physical therapy appointment today.
I have stretching exercises to do, and I should massage my foot several times a day. I was taught how to think about walking instead of just letting my foot do it's own thing. And I'm getting ultrasound therapy to break up the scar tissue.
My therapist explained why my heel hurts sometimes. It's because I sliced through the planar fascia, so it's not stretchy anymore. She gave me an exercise for that, too.
Three times a day, I must put a towel on the floor and scrunch it up with my toes. It is unbelievable how much this exercise sucks. It *hurts*. I mean, the stretching is kind of unpleasant; and the massage is very unpleasant... but simply scrunching a towel is excruciating!
So I'm gonna be towel scrunching until it doesn't hurt anymore.
Yay for determination! Yay for pain tolerance! Yay for memory! Because I remember dancing and running and camping on a mountainside, and those memories will drive me to recovery so that I can dance and drive and camp again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch - you bring back some nasty memories. I had a bone chip in one heel and a non-stretching muscle in the other foot, and I thought I would never get to walk normally! And the dr. kept wanting to inject it with steriods, which makes my blood sugar go sky high for days!

Hang in there, do the exercises, check out www.footsmart.com - they have some interesting stuff. It takes time for these injuries to heal, but they do eventually.