Monday, September 05, 2005

Hmmm... Thinking
.

To knit a shetland shawl, you knit a border. Then you pick up a bunch of stitches along the edge. Then you knit with those picked up stitches. A lot of knitters never finish a shetland shawl because of those darned picked up stitches. So I was wondering... What if you wove in a bit of colored string at the end of each row, so that you know exactly where the stitches are to be picked up? How come nobody does that? Or is it some lace knitting secret that I'm unaware of?

Just wondering.

1 comment:

Roberta S said...

Gee, Great idea. I'm not the world's best knitter but right now I'm doing some slippers that have add on cuffs that are knitted on picked up stitches. I think I might try your suggestion so I can just stop cursing and keep on knitting. If it's a secret, it's a well kept one.