Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Pondering

Red vs. Blue
Why is it that the service States tend to vote Republican? I call them service States because they service our country. I'm talking about farmers and coal miners and factory workers. They consistently get reamed by Republican party policy, yet they continue to vote for Republicans. It makes no sense. Then again, maybe it does make sense. Having been at the bottom of the food-chain myself, dismissed as "stupid and lazy" simply for being poor; being told "Ain't nobody gonna give you a loan for college" because I had nothing to trade with a bank, I think maybe I do understand after all. Republicans feed us sunshine and roses. They tell us things are improving. They offer hope. And when you have nothing, hope looks pretty darn good. The poor value their pride and faith above all else. These are the only things that cannot be taken from them. These are the only things the poor have power over. So they cling to their faith that life can be good; and they cling to their pride as their children fight for their country.
It's not that the poor can't handle bad news. I think the poor can handle it better than most. They're familiar with tragedy. They see it every day. It is a tragedy when you can't feed your child. It is a tragedy when you lose your job, and you're one paycheck away from eviction. Homelessness? Don't even go there. The poor only get a home if somebody dies and leaves it to them, or if the deceased was lucky enough to have life insurance.
If you've never been there, you wouldn't understand. I used to be glad that some people would never experience poverty... but now I think everyone should have a little taste of poverty. They might learn something.

And if this sounds bitter, you're right. I am bitter. I'm bitter for being told I'm worthless, and I get bitter when I catch myself looking down on the poor now. It shocks me when I see how far I've come, and then see how far I have to go before I stop connecting poor with worthless.

2 comments:

achromic said...

Twice this season I've had conversations about what "poor" people want. We have these programs at work, you know, to help out. One of them is you get to choose a thing off of a tree that has the gender and age of a person and what they asked for, some of these people asked for CD's. I said well they must want blank CD's, thinking that they want to make their own music CD's but my friends says no, they must want music CD's because they are not going to have a computer to burn CD's on. But I wasn't so sure, I mean, the YMCA and the library would have that equipment as well as friends and stuff... but I don't know any more, I mean it's been ages that I've been around people that poor that they would qualify for this kind of thing. The other was a donation of a gift certificate from a supermarket, and I suggested Trader Joe's, and everyone laughed and said poor people didn't go to TJ's. But I donno, there are lots of frozen foods at TJ's and some stuff is an awful lot cheaper IMOH, not as cheap as Aldie's (sp?) use to be but you know better then some supermarkets. I donno, when I was poor I would have LOVED getting a gift certificate to eat something better, to try something that was usually out of my reach, but then again I was different then many people in my neighborhood who were happy with the satis quo. The thing about it all? When I was poor, I knew that the president couldn't change my everyday life, I didn't believe that anyone could, but I could believe in stuff like space tech. it offered as you say hope. Of course I couldn't vote back then either so it didn't matter as much what I believed in.

Unknown said...

That really is something to think about, how much we HAVE distanced ourselves from our poor upbringing and just what our perspective is on it now. I know I often get so mad at Hub for wasting food or for throwing things out that could be given away! To charity! Or that someone can use! Somewhere! He never had to do without - ever - he has no idea that he is wasting, he thinks I am crazy. It becomes a point of contention between us, and sometimes it seems as if he thinks I make it up or I have some neurosis. But I know what it's like. I am so happy with our lives now, because for me, we're living high on the hog. I don't ever want to be so wealthy our kids get everything they want, because I've seen what it can do to them, make them think they are somehow entitled, just because of who they are. And it isn't right. I want my children to know the value of the dollar, to know how much it means to work for something and to feel as if they have earned it. I think that's so important.