Thursday, December 09, 2004

LMAO

I'm laughing my butt off over this whole Rumsfeld vs. the common soldier thing. (go read the article. There were more disturbing questions voiced.)

(go read it now... I'll wait)

Since I read blogs and such, I was not surprised that the troops are scavenging armor for their vehicles. I thought everyone knew that! And Rumsfeld's response, "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time," just made him look bad. Because even a 3 year old knows we chose to go to war. We chose the timing. We had plenty of time to armor our vehicles. *snort*
Yes, if you're caught off-guard, you go to war with the army you have. And then the country busts it's butt building a stronger, better defended army. Remember those Loony Toons cartoons? The ones made during WW2? I don't see anybody rationing gasoline or collecting scrap metal to be made into armor, do you? I don't see car factories switching to the production of armor, either.

The news media is all over this one, and I'm glad. And it astonishes me that people are astonished by this. Have they been living in a spider hole? How can you not know that families are buying body armor and bottled water for their sons and daughters, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins because the Army didn't supply it?

In case you didn't read the article, other questions raised were, "What is Rumsfeld and the Army were doing to address shortages and antiquated equipment?"
and
"Many of the soldiers in [a] unit are having trouble receiving all the pay due them, causing problems for families back home who are being pestered by bill collection agencies."

Anyway, I don't think the situation is funny to our soldiers. What I think is funny is the media scramble to cover the story, and the newscasters' surprise that anyone would be interested. They keep trying to change the subject -talk about other news; but their websites are filled with people talking about the horrors of our soldiers having to pick through garbage to keep themselves safe. You go, America! Make Bush Co. uneasy! Make them nervous! I like to see them sweat. :D

5 comments:

achromic said...

I posted a wonderful comment and now it's lost. Boooo

Unknown said...

Excellent articles, and thanks for posting about it. And I agree, how did people not know about this? I thought everyone knew, too.

achromic said...

Humm ok I'm gonna try and recreate my post that went missing because it has bugged me for days now. Which will teach me to try and go to blogland from work... well no it won't. The basic jest of my last post that went missing is that, I sympathize with every solider that is finding out the hard way how little our goverment cares about them. Out here we just had a new story running about how they were returning to find out they were homeless and unable to find work. See rents out here are exsorbent (1350 for a one bdrm) unless you have rent control, only if you default on paying your rent under rent control then the LL can kick you out and up the rent to market value. Not only that but as CA was a favorite landing site for the veitam vets most people think of soliders as well less then stable (do you really want guy in the cubical next to you be someone that has learned that killing people really isn't that hard?....expecially in a high stress envirment?) No one out here believes that the miltary does/has any way of deprograming their killers. So they are having a hard time find a job. So they end up on the streets. I feel for them, I do, but I also try to remember that they volenteered for this. We still have a volenteer miltary and although it is a tough way to grow up, they choose it, and they learn the consquense of not researching the co. they are chooseing to keep. In this case they may learn it while watching their best friend die. Tough.

achromic said...

ok this is really not funny I posted another comment with the same content and it's gone again. Maybe Tom Rigde coharts really do have my number.

She Dances in Dragon said...

It showed up. ^see^