Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Enter the kitsch or How To Horrify Your Wife

Yesterday, the Hubby-Man came home from work with a box and a big, big grin. The box was full of packing wrap, and I could see something sculptural sticking out one end; as if the thing was too big to fit in the box. And let me tell you, it was a big box. I could tell from his grin that this was going to be bad. But I had no idea just how bad until he unwrapped the thing.

Let the suspense build whilst I tell you about my Hubby and his fondness for kitsch. He likes tacky home decorations from the late 60's and early 70's. We have a shag rug that's orange, red, yellow, and cream paisley and swirls. It looks like psychedelic vomit that's been sitting in the fridge too long. We used to have furniture that matched; all earth tones and redwood. Bleah. Over the years he has acquired other atrocities like a wrought iron globe lamp thing that hangs in the corner, 50 million oil lamps, and an octagonal wooden end table with doors like a roll-top desk (only sideways)

And I love him still.

So when he brought this thing home, all I could do was smile and say, "I love you." While fearing where he might display it. Now, I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into each of these items. I really can. Individually, they're beautiful. But like go-go boots or high heel clogs, they're things that just shouldn't be seen.

So.
If you dare.
Make sure there's nothing in your mouth, or you might choke...
And click this link.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time I look at it I burst into fits of giggles. Because I know your Hubby-Man, and I know he is serious about his kitch, and in his own way he has very unusual "style". *giggles*

Ahem. I just can't stop giggling. I'm calling "Queer Eye".

Jay said...

Ohhhhhh
OOhhhhhhhhh
Ahem.
oohhhhhhh
Okay, well it's not what most people would consider 'in good taste'...but at least he didn't wrap it up and call it your Christmas present!
Right?

J

Buckaroo Mu said...

Speaking AS the Hubby-Man, let me just say this. The Octagonal wooden table was from YOUR dear sister, dear.

Thanks, Chas - I do have style. But if you call Queer Eye, I'm calling Monster House.

Unknown said...

What's Monster House? I'm sensing that's a threat. You can't picture it, Queer Eye coming to your house? They clean and redecorate everything, you know. It would be fun! You'd get free clothes! And "product"! *giggles*

achromic said...

Ohhh lets see it! a Queer eye matched against a monster house ooooo I can't wait. Umm CM monster house is on discovery channel usually on Mon. I get it at 8pm. I would NEVER let them in my house.