Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Festival Longings

So I'm sitting on the sofa, basking in the sunlight and leafing through an Azure Green catalogue. I don't remember requesting one, yet it came in the mail yesterday, and they have just about everything. In the bumper sticker section they had this, "we all come from the Goddess, and to her we shall return". Thus I've been chanting a song Chasmyn taught me ages ago. I'm a little surprised I still remember it. I learn chants at festivals, and promptly forget them.

We all come from the Goddess
And to her we shall return
Like a drop of rain
Flowing to the ocean

It got me to thinking. What I need is a cd of chants. I don't want long songs. Just quick little chants with music. Wouldn't that be ideal? Wouldn't it be great if you could get a cd of all the chants used in all the rituals of a 5 day festival?
I decided to google it and found, right off the bat, this: Chants and Music for the Solitary Practitioner. Oh, yeah!

Ideally, I'd like to listen to a bunch and download ($) what I want. That suits me better than buying a cd with chants and long instrumentals. Nothing against instrumental music, but for that I prefer classical music with a full orchestra. Give me the whole concert, or at least a movement. Let me hear the strings -from violin to cello, brass, woodwinds, percussion, and for gods sake, throw in some tubular bells! I like music that surrounds me. For some reason, singing a simple acapella chant surrounds me just as effectively as an orchestra. I love it!

Yes, today I will be buying some music. I've been missing out on an entire world of paganism, by thinking what's available is just like what was to be had in the 80's. Closed mind, and all that.

No comments: