Sunday, April 20, 2003

Easter Eggs and 12 Year-Olds
My son is 12, which makes him too cool to hunt for easter eggs. He's also too cool to dye eggs, but he did it with his Grandma (and enjoyed it like crazy) Anyway, he spent the weekend with Grandma and I spent the weekend revisiting my past on my randomredhead blog. This reminded me of the plastic eggs full of quarters my sister and I would hunt for on Easter. Those quarters went immediately into the greedy slots of video games. Josie rocked at Pac-Man, I could usually make it to the apple stage.
This year, I dumped the contents of the change jar into some eggs and added a clue to each one. When L got home, he found a note in his easter basket sending him to "the Guru" for his first clue. Buck is the guru. I watched him dashing through the house, from under his pillow, to the new movies we had bought, back to his room to find his Kingdom Hearts game, etc. His face was all lit up in a smile, his eyes sparkled, he glowed! He was so disappointed when he reached the end. He opened the 4 eggs I had left over, trying to find another note. I heard him saying, "Dollar... dollar...dollar...this one has to have the note... dollar.(sigh)"
Next year, I'll buy more eggs.

No comments: