Thursday, July 14, 2005

All The News That's Fit To Snark
.
From NOVIS (read the entire article here): "Proposals to put cigarette-style health warnings on soft drinks to highlight the harmful effects of too many sugary beverages has been called patronizing by the American Beverage Association, writes Anthony Fletcher.

In a petition filed this week with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) has asked for the introduction of a series of rotating health notices on containers of all non-diet soft drinks-carbonated and non-carbonated-containing more than 13 grams of refined sugars per 12 ounces.

Suggested warnings include US Government recommends that you drink less (non-diet) soda to help prevent weight gain, tooth decay, and other health problems” and “To help protect your waistline and your teeth, consider drinking diet sodas or water.”

...

From the Daily Telegraph (read the entire article here):By LARISSA CUMMINGS

July 15, 2005

WHEN he spotted an embargoed copy of the coveted new Harry Potter novel on sale four days before the global launch, Sylum Mastropaolo thought he was in heaven.

But after devouring the first pages of the top-secret wizarding sequel, the nine-year-old's parents made him return the book to the store.

In Sydney, copies of J.K Rowling's sixth Potter novel are being guarded in unmarked cartons in bolted storage areas – forbidden to be opened, read, or even photographed before the official release at 9.01am tomorrow.

...

Ok, then. Warning labels on soda should not include advice to drink diet soda. The sweetener in diet soda carries it's own risks.

And the HP book? Wow. I applaud that boy's parents.
Also, I'm going to release my pet theory here. Dudley Dursley is the half blood prince. Aunt Petunia is not a muggle. She's not even a squib. I think she turned down a chance to go to Hogwarts when she was a kid, because she wanted to be "normal", and that's why she was so jealous of her sister.

One more snippet of news, from MSNBC: (read the entire article here)
Pope Benedict believes the Harry Potter books subtly seduce young readers and “distort Christianity in the soul” before it can develop properly, according to comments attributed to him by a German writer.

I completely disagree, of course. The characters in th HP world have great "powers", and the burden of great responsibility to balance those powers. From a Christian perspective, God gives people talent in varying degrees and it is up to the people to use their talents wisely and well. Every child wants to live in a world where their wishes could be made true easily. J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series teaches children that nothing is easy, and everyone is human. Cause and effect are very clear. Everything comes with a price. Perhaps the Pope thinks there isn't enough guilt in the books?

I don't know. And I don't much care. The Harry Potter books brought my son into the world of reading, when all my efforts failed. When HP and the Half Blood Prince arrives on my doorstep, my son will be the first to read it. He's already told me that he plans to snag the book and drag it off to his room until he's finished it.
(whimper)
And he reads slowly.
(waaaaah!)
The good news is, he read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in 5 days; so his read-speed has improved greatly.

2 comments:

Tina M said...

Do these people think we're that stupid?!?! Labels on the soft drinks, good grief!
They want you to drink diet soda but they still don't even know what Splenda will do to you if taken long term. Everything "diet" should have a warning label, cause it just tastes bad!

As for HP, well, I just have to say that I'm a really mean mommy. I told my son that I get to read it first cause I paid for it! HAHAHA!! He reads too slowly, so I have compromised, we will read it at the same time. He can read while I'm at work, and I get it at night. Can't the Pope find something better to do, like war, hunger, peace....that sort of thing? Why pick on the Potters? Ohh, I'm just loving your guess on the half blood prince and Petunia. I definitely think you're right about her! Why can't Ron be a prince so that everyone quits picking on him for being poor?

She Dances in Dragon said...

That's a great idea! Ron *should* be the prince. Preferably with a cache of crown jewels somewhere... Maybe up in the attic with the ghoul?

Although I think Ron would be happy simply with a non-maroon sweater.
:D