Wednesday, July 06, 2005

4th of July Madness
.
We got a lot of rain on the 4th of July; which washed the streets clean and flooded the downstairs bathroom. All that water meant my neighborhood would be reasonably fire resistant. But before we spent an evening watching our neighbors mix explosives and beer, we went to the movies and saw War of the Worlds. I was hoping for some good special effects, and the movie totally lived up to those expectations. But somewhere between our house and the theater, a screw got embedded in one of our tires.
Of course, no tire place is open on the 4th. So we changed the tire in the parking lot. I was kind of miffed that my hubby wouldn't let me do it. I mean, how often do you get to change a tire, right? I wanted to show off my mad tire-changing skills. (sigh)
Yeah, yeah... the hubby-man got the job done twice as fast as I could have... so what.

There was a fireworks stand in the theater parking lot. So we stopped in.
Now, since fireworks are illegal in the city, the hubby-man did not buy mortars and L did not buy ground effects and 50 billion snap and pops. Nor did anyone buy bottle rockets. I actually hate bottle rockets. They're about the most useless firework around. They go 20 feet in the air (if you're lucky, otherwise they shoot 10 feet sideways and land on a car, person, box full of fireworks, etc.) and "explode" in a miniscule shower of amber sparks.
Since we didn't buy anything, we didn't get a handful of punks, which I did not give to my neighbor when I saw his little boy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette. My neighbor doesn't even smoke. One of his friends gave him some cigarettes *specifically* to light fireworks with.
I am not kidding you.

On a brighter note; they're building new houses across the street (grrr), and there's a giant mound of dirt over there. Remember that rain I said we got? Yeah, keep that in mind. We had climbed the rock hard sun-baked dirt the day before, and discovered we could see fireworks from 4 different cities. Nice.
So we climbed the mound again on the 4th. Except it wasn't rock hard anymore. There was a mushy layer of silt at the bottom, and I snickered as people sunk in up to their ankles. I took a longer route, avoiding the silt while building up layers of mud on the soles of my sandals. I felt like I was walking with snowshoes on my feet. But we made it up to the top and enjoyed a 360 degree view of fireworks.
.
.
.
Today, I paid $20 to have the tire fixed. I had the oil changed while I was at it. On the way home, I stopped off at a craft store. I knew better, but I did it anyway.
See, I need size 00 circular knitting needles so I can knit up the cobweb weight wool I bought. But they didn't have any 00 needles. They didn't even have real wool, only wool blends. (peh) Yet there I was, surrounded by yarn, in all it's fluffy goodness... Those bright colors and lovely textures... Crying out, "Socks! I'd make great socks!" So I bought 2 skeins of variegated yarn, a larger set of double-pointed needles, and a pair of row counters.
Yes. Knitting has sucked me in.

1 comment:

Optima said...

I totally do not like the boring bottle rockets either and I thank my lucky stars that there weren't many this year. Yep- the gods saved St Louis from fires this year, pretty cool, aye?
I woulda been laughing my butt off to watch everyone climb that hill, but I am sure it was an awesome show!
I missed 3 of your post {I’m slackin’}
I will be thinking about your grandma, I am so sorry you all went through this scare!
I am glad you had a good 4th! I will be keeping a look-out for 00 needles and will talk to you soon!