Thursday, March 31, 2005

Today I Saw

homeless people. In my neighborhood. On my block. And it shocked me.

If you live in suburbia, you might connect "homeless" with that guy who stands at a busy intersection with a cardboard sign and a duffel bag. Or you might think of New York subways. I think of exactly those people I saw this morning: 2 men taking care of each other until they can get a roof over their heads. Maybe they were apartment hunting. We have some affordable apartments in my neighborhood, and you can usually find a "for rent" sign in front of a few.

I'll give you an example. We paid $60k for a small ranch style home in a neighborhood full of Victorian brick. The Victorians cost as much as a new home. Yet we have apartments for $250 a month. I think that's pretty affordable.
Anyway...

To see a pair of homeless men with their little black trash bags, (probably holding a change of clothes or two) in my quietly diverse neighborhood, was a shock to me. I wasn't offended. Homelessness offends me. Homeless people do not.

I wanted to stop and help them. Find them jobs (if they needed ones), find them apartments, something! And then I noticed that one of the men was carrying beer to the other. At 8 in the morning.
I drove home and blogged instead.

3 comments:

jayde said...

you should read my post about this same situation......

Anonymous said...

People often say this to me about alcohol (I am assuming you made a judgement about their drinking?) If you were homeless and had no options, would you stay sober? Drinking dulls their pain. I don't condone it but I understand it, and I cannot say that if put in that situation I wouldn't become depressed and hopeless enough to drink at 8 in the morning. I of course an a mother and have a great family and friend support network so I honestly doubt I'd ever find myself in that situation, but if I did and didn;t have kids, I have no idea what I would do. You never really know until you're there.

It's easy to judge people having never walked in their shoes.

achromic said...

actually J. and I fight about this sometimes. Because I will beg him to stop the car and let me help someone and of course he won't. I've brought people into my house and stuff.... he won't let me do that anymore. I understand why he stops me, I even agree with why he stops me.... I just don't like it.