Thursday, March 03, 2005

A Fluffy Surprise
.
Yesterday, I was trudging through the back yard, thankful that it was above 20 degrees. Because 20 degrees seems to be the failure temp for my knees. Anyway, it was freezing outside. I was walking with my head down, thinking about Winter and wondering when it would be warm again. I caught a flash of red in my peripheral vision. I looked up just in time to see a robin fly past. He landed on my roof and turned his head to look at me. And I looked back with a smile.

Because robins in St. Louis mean Winter is over! No more hard freezes! Yay!

When the robins come back, they're usually lean and blandly colored. Not so with this guy. He was fat. And his breast was downright scarlet. I haven't seen such a bright robin since my childhood.

I really hope this well-fed bird means prosperity for this year. The day before, my son and I laughed over the antics of a really plump squirrel. I mean how often do you get to see a squirrel with a double chin, right?
If I see another overweight animal today, I'll take it as a sign.

Which reminds me. Next week, I'm going out with my second cousin. We're going to drop off samples of my products at a string of day-spas. Which means I'll need to buy more shea butter because I might have a lot of orders to fill.

No comments: