Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I (Heart) NPR
.
So there I was, driving along while listening to NPR, when these words popped out of my mouth:
"Oh HELL no!"

Because amongst the top of the hour news, was a little tidbit about drug testing teens before they get their driver's licenses. Thus the cussing on my part. It is not up to the state to decide that anyone 18 or younger can't drive until they've proven they're drug free. It's discriminatory. And it sends the wrong message to the people being discriminated against. The message is, "Young people do drugs, and we can't stop them."
To make matters worse, the drug test would be paid for by the teenagers themselves.

Not that I'm against making it difficult to obtain and keep a drivers license. I think everyone should have to pass a drivers test when they renew their license. They (and I) should have to prove they still know how to drive. I think it would make a world of difference with the development of bad driving habits. And just think how many jobs it would create!

But you don't see me out there crusading against bad drivers. Yeah, I think my idea would work. I also think it would cost a lot of tax dollars and man hours that might be better spent on something else.

4 comments:

Optima said...

IMHO, If they want to test teenagers for drugs B4 they get their license, then they should be testing 75+ people for drugs B4 renewal of theirs. Most of the drugs our elderly are on make it impossible to drive safely and they still do!

Look at me, posting this currently taking OXYCONTIN. ~eye roll~ But that is why I try not to drive much at.

She Dances in Dragon said...

Thanks for commenting! It gives me a chance to rant more ;)
...
If they're going to force test for drugs, they should force test everyone. Period. Any other way is discrimination.
Yes, teenagers and old people are more likely to drive while on drugs; and we should test everyone or no one at all.
Which totally bites ass for anyone on a tight budget.

achromic said...

I'm with you folks, either it is all or nothing. Besides who do we really think this is gonna stop? Ok you might catch a few hard core can't stop drug additics but most people will get clean enough to pass and then take the test. It certianly won't stop drinkers who drive as they ususally test clean with only a 48 hr. window.

Anonymous said...

I'm in agreement about testing all or none. And personally I think none.