Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Blogging The Vote, the Pre-Game Show

Late getting out of the house, L was late for school. Dropped him off and rushed to my sister's place. She needed me to wait with her daughter for the school bus, so she could vote before work. Haven't seen any long lines yet, but the news is filled with stories of ridiculous voting lines.
Parking is always difficult at my polling place, so I'm walking the 3 blocks to the church where I cast my vote. I'm waiting 'til after 9:00, in the hopes that there won't be much of a wait. With the cold, rainy weather today; my arthritis won't enjoy an hour in line.

I have more vote related news, but of a personal nature. I finally told my mom about the thing I was(am) so upset about. The thing I won't talk about here. My mom is an election judge, and this time around she's an election supervisor. I believe this requires a level of integrity, and a certain clarity of mind. I'm not sure how qualified she is for the job. She was thinking about encouraging people to use provisional ballots because they come with a receipt. That's a nice idea, except that Missouri won't even look at cast provisional ballots unless the election is very close.
I set her straight. Registered voters who show up in the book must vote the regular way. Provisional ballots are only for people who are not in the book.
Mom did do one smart thing. She brought a tape measure and some chalk, and marked out a 25 foot radius around the doors. Last election they had a lot of trouble with people representing various political parties. They kept crowding and sometimes blocking the doors. That's bullshit. Nothing should impede voting. So this time, the boundaries are clear. At least until the rain washes the chalk away.

No comments: