Thursday, November 25, 2004

And I Thought This Was A Joke...

Meet the turducken. The most disgustingly all-American food, ever! I actually saw this thing in the grocery store. This turkey shaped monstrosity, proudly labeled "TURDUCKEN". I thought it was Bosnian for turkey, since St. Louis has a lot of Bosnian immigrants, and the grocery stores carry a lot of Bosnian foods now. So I thought somebody was trying to market specifically to our Bosnian immigrants.

I was wrong.

According to Scoop Du Jour, the Turducken was first created by some guy in Louisiana, with the help of his local butcher. He brought in a turkey, a duck and a chicken, and asked the butcher to de-bone them and stuff one inside the other, inside the other. So there you have it. Meat, meat and more meat, with layers of stuffing in between. It feeds 25-30 people and takes 12 hours to cook.
I'm thinking it feeds 25-30 Americans, but would provide protein for an entire village in Africa.
The Hubby-Man asked the truly important question about the Turducken... Why didn't they stuff the chicken with a Cornish Game Hen?

No comments: