Thursday, September 16, 2004

Spay Day

MoonShadow is getting spayed today. It's an outpatient procedure. I remember when they would keep them over night, at least! Of course, I remember when the vet wouldn't spay unless the cat had experienced a heat cycle. Times have very much changed.

I was worried about Shadow and the anesthesia. Hunter didn't react very well to the anesthesia after his neutering. He was off kilter for days. Shadow is a lot more delicate (at least in appearance), so I worried about her surgery. The vet gave me the option of a pre-anesthesia test, to make sure she could handle the drugs. Woot!

It costs $30, which we really don't have right now. But she's getting the test anyway. I'd rather buy some cheaper food for two weeks, than lose my kitty. It's all about priorities. :) We took this kitten and promised her a good home. We're committed to her having a long and happy life. So a $30 test is part of the deal.
...........

It was a dog day at the vets office. There were two dogs waiting when we came in. Both of them looked at my box of kitty and acted like I'd brought in a treat for them. "Oooh! Fast food!" Their wagging tails seemed to say. "I like Happy Meals!"
MoonShadow stayed in the carrier, on the counter where the dogs couldn't reach her. A third dog lover came in, carrying his unleashed lap dog. He came right up to my cat carrier and held his doggie out to see my cat.
"Look, a black cat! Cat!" he exclaimed.
I wondered if he were any relation to Mr. Rogers.
There's a cat who lives at the vets office. She had been laying next to MoonShadow's carrier, being no threat whatsoever. Mr. Rogers' relative shoved his dog at the other cat next, and loudly proclaimed, "Cat!"
The cat! was free to run, and did so immediately; skittering over MoonShadow's carrier and almost knocking it from the counter.
For the first time ever, I heard MoonShadow hiss. She had her ears back, and she was staring at the dog owner with utter dislike.
Friday would have been so proud.

I turned to give the dog owner The Look. You know, the look that says, "What is your malfunction? Why don't you go sit down, and why isn't that thing on a leash?"
And the nurses whisked MoonShadow away before I could say goodbye.

No comments: