Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Misc. Stuff

Another picture from Colorado:


L has to make something for the academic fair. That's a science fair to you and I, only more PC. That way you don't get 200 model volcanoes. The students can submit anything that has anything to do with academics.

Of course, L wants to make something spectacular. He wanted to make a battle bot. We told him he could make a battle bot without the weapons. You can't bring weapons to school. But last night I had a brilliant idea.

L's favorite drink is caffeine free Pepsi. (Oh, he is so the son of his father. Sigh) Anyway, I think he should build an automatic soda can opener. It would have an actual use after the fair, and the materials would cost a lot less. Buck would like him to build a can washer and crusher. Nice, since washing and crushing cans is one of L's chores.
I think L will like the opener idea better.
We'll see. I'm presenting both ideas to him after school. And he can always build his battle bot. Although we've hit an obstacle there. L wants to use his K'Nex robotics kit controller. K'Nex used to sell a chip programmer, but they've taken them off the market because Dish TV is afraid people will use them to hack their satellite boxes. Never mind that they're incompatible. Dish TV sued everybody, and K'Nex is one of the companies that decided it was just too much trouble. I guess they'd rather spend their money developing toys. I can't say I blame them. I'd rather develop toys than pay lawyers any day.

No comments: