Saturday, March 20, 2004

Today's Embarassing Moment

So there I was, waiting in line as the checker scanned my groceries. I had noticed her bright orange hair, of course. You can't miss that color. But as I stood there, I thought, "What a lovely shade for a redhead." I looked at her pale, freckled skin. I observed her invisible eyebrows and lashes.
I looked at her hair again. Not one white hair in that glorious mass of orange-red. I looked at her face; trying to pin an age on her. Was she older than me, or younger?
Again my eyes were drawn to her hair. Nope, not white hairs. But her face said 40.

To my horror, I heard these words coming out of my mouth; "I know this is really inappropriate, but tell me that's your natural color! And if it's not," I rushed on, "then tell me what brand of dye you found, because that's my color!"
She gave me a steely look, and I babbled on; knowing I looked like a fool. Knowing that this checker could give a shit less about my whitening hair. I said, "Not that you look old, 'cause you don't. But I can't find a dye to cover my grey that matches my hair, and you have my color, and I was thinking that if you had found a dye to cover your grey, which you don't have... then I... might..."
She let me off the hook. She declared, "Nope, this is my natural color. And I don't have any grey." She gave me a falsely bright smile, and turned to the next customer.

I'm so ashamed.

No comments: