Monday, March 08, 2004

Taking a Trip

While chatting with Chasmyn, she mentioned "salvia divinorum" was a popular new psychedelic. Like me, she knows a lot about things, without actually doing them. So I'm sitting there on the phone thinking, "salvia...salvia... what is that?" Then I remembered. Salvia is sage. I doubted my memory... it might be basil. I said, "Kids are smoking sage or basil to get high? *scoff*
She googled it and sent me a link.
Later on, I googled the URL and searched for pages that link to SageWisdom.org. Lo and behold; the Department Of Justice has a link to them! It's in a page about Drugs of Concern. Interesting...
So, of course, I had to go look at the other drugs of concern. I'm a mother of a 13 year old, I'd like to know what's floating around out there.
I couldn't find anything about mushrooms, though. I would think, that if they're concerned about a hallucinogenic member of the mint family; they would surely be concerned about a toxic fungus. Not finding what I was looking for, I looked elsewhere. I'm reading 5 different sites right now.
I also found a FAQ on codeine. That one is a big deal to me. When L was recovering from surgery, the hospital gave him Tylenol 3. He barfed all night. They decided he was probably allergic, and he did fine with just plain tylenol after that. However, I want to know everything I can about any opiates, so I can forewarn him -if he ever pulls the stupid teen trick of doing drugs. So today I learned some new things.
Tylenol 3 is: 30mg codeine, 30mg caffeine, and an unspecified dose of tylenol. I didn't know there was a tylenol 4. I'm not linking the site where I got the info, because it encourages the use of opiates for recreation. I'm not going to sully my blog with that. This part caught my attention, however: "Most codeine found in pharmaceutical products today is synthetically produced via the methylation of morphine." Methylation... as in dissolving morphine in methyl alcohol to extract it? Could my son have an allergy to methyl alcohol, or one of it's by-products? Better safe than sorry. I'll tell him he might be allergic to Meth, too. (snerk) Is that cruel?
I'm a child of the 80's. Everyone did drugs. Is it limiting for me to pray that my son never experiments with them? (Not that I really care if you think I'm mean) I believe in everything in moderation. I think occasional drug use won't do horrible damage, and you might just learn something. But I've seen what can happen with "recreational" drug use. People tend to make poor choices. -sigh- Just one more stress. :)
I was actually going somewhere different with this. Methinks I'll save it for another posting

No comments: