Sunday, March 28, 2004

Public Restroom Etiquette

The Squeaky Weasel started it. Her hubby added to it. I'd like to see this make the rounds, so I can read everyone's varying views on Bathroom Etiquette. Think of it as an educational experience.

Quote from the Weasel: "I am regularly offended by people's behavior in the restrooms here at work, and it occurs to me that perhaps (and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) they are entirely ignorant of the psychological havoc they wreak. Allow me to elucidate. "

In addition to her suggestions, I have a few of my own.

1. There are a few things that should only be done in a private bathroom. If you absolutely must pop your zits, or swab the sweat from beneath your breasts while looking in the mirror; have the courtesey to wait until the restroom is empty. (Yes, I spend a lot of time at Busch Stadium)

2. Understand that we are all in a hurry to do our business and move on. We do not want to be held up by a group of women blocking the door. If you are going to exchange photographs, recipies or advice of any kind; please do so away from the door.

3. Do not lay out your makeup across 3 sinks. Do not fill a basin with your makeup while running water in a second basin, and for Gods sakes, wipe up the water you've splashed all over the counter. Does your bathroom at home look like this?

4. I agree with the Squeaky Weasel on the courtesey flush. Please, please don't flee from the stall as if your waste is going to get you -without even flushing once. I've noticed that the non-flushers are the same ones who refuse to wash their hands. They exit the stall and dash from the bathroom with their hands held up like they've just scrubbed for surgery. They do everything with their elbows, as if afraid to encounter other people's germs. They make such a big production of themselves, that their fleeing form fixes itself in your mind. Thanks for making sure I noticed you, ya dweeb.

One more thing. When I worked at the coffee house, one of my end of the night chores was to clean the bathrooms. There is a distinct difference between the ladies and mens rooms. The ladies room reeks of an assortment of perfumes, there are a scattering of paper towels around the trash can, and there is always foundation smeared on the sink.

The mens room smells like a litter box, the trashcan is virtually empty (no paper towels for me, thanks. I'm a MAN) and there is always urine on the floor and walls.

I like to think their aim is skewed because they're jittery from espresso.

No comments: