Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The Best Of Me

I added a new section to my side bar. I now have links to various meditations I've written out here. I also have my favorite Bush rant. Since I'm coming up on my one year blogiversary, I decided to post my best quotes from this blog.

On the Hubby-Man
"Hubby Man calls for me to come quick... the snake is eating itself. I dash into the bedroom expecting... well I don't know what I was expecting. Maybe Sinbad the snake doing the oroboris circle thingy. Nope. The stupid snake had his mouth firmly clamped on his body, while the rest of him wrapped and squeezed himself."

"My hubby noticed ages ago that redheads tend to clump together. He expressed how beautiful it was to see 3 or 4 redheads together, lighting up a room and drawing all the attention. I laughed at him and told him we don't clump or cluster, we clot like blood."

"I thought about how nice is is that I have a talent for cooking, and from out of nowhere Hubby-Man says, "I'm glad that you are talented in bed, because we can always go out to a restaurant... But I do appreciate your cooking"."

On My Son
on the first day of school"This morning, he comes out of his room wearing a dirty school shirt! I don't know where he found it, but there it was, in all it's wrinkled glory hanging on his body. I almost laughed out loud. I said, "Where did you find that shirt?" He replied, "I guess I should have grabbed one of the ones hanging up?"

"Anyone with a 12 year old boy understands, and the rest don't need me to share."

"I stuck the coupon on the fridge along with all the other coupons I'll never use, and promptly forgot about it. L however, did not. Every day I asked, "What would you like for breakfast?" and he'd reply, "Krispy Kreme... You didn't buy them last night? Ok then, hashbrowns." This went on for 2 solid weeks. I'd pick him up from school; he'd ask for Krispy Kreme. I went grocery shopping; he asked for Krispy Kreme. I'm still thinking he will eat one or two donuts and be done with the Krispy Kreme thing, and we'll be stuck with 22 high-calorie rings of doom... I could not have been more wrong. We finally go buy the friggin' donuts. L eats one, I eat one, B eats one. Then we all eat another. L notices that the first dozen are halfway gone, and says, "There were 24 donuts, and 3 people. That makes 8 donuts each." We all agreed that 8 donuts were the max we'd eat, so that all would be in balance. This isn't normal behavior for L. He's usually quite generous, and if he mentally divides food, he does it by size. Thus I say: Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are not your average donut."

"A commercial came on, and L snagged a gingerbread man to eat. He started making loud licking noises, running his tongue up and down the gingerbread man's back. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eyes, and he started to giggle. I got a clear image in my head of SpongeBob SquarePants eating ice cream, and smiled. L really got into the SpongeBob mode then; wrapping his lips around the gingerbread head, slurping with a blank look on his face, the whole 9 yards."

"My bread was so bad...
How bad was it?
It was so bad, my son said, "You should throw the bread away, and burn the pan it was baked in, and salt the oven in which it was baked."


On The Prez.
"So last night my President delayed "Survivor" so he could say nothing in a genuinely artificial sincere way."

"Last night I got tired of being in despair. I refuse to give Bush that power over me for one second more. We as a people can survive this. We survived Mc Carthy, we survived others, we'll survive this. Better yet, we as a people can fight this. You know why? Because we can speak out without fear serious of reprisal. No one is going to knock on your door for the content of your blog. No one is going to amputate your tongue, or maim your family members because you don't like Bush.
If we live in fear Bush wins.
I will not fear an angry little man."

"I don't like George Bush. I don't like our predominantly Republican Congress. More accurately, I'm nearing a point of 'fight or flight' mentality. Other countries are looking good to me. I have awakened in the middle of the night from dreams of Bush getting re-elected. I've studied enough history to see how quickly a country can go from free to hell. All it takes is fear. Right now, Americans are afraid they will lose their jobs and be unable to find new ones. They're afraid their teenagers will be gunned down by a crazy student, teacher, sniper, or pack of ravenous wolves. They pray for the rapture to take them away. They would rather have the world end, than look at their fear.
At least, some of them would.
Some, but not all.
Some Americans face their fears, tackle them like the intruders they are. Some Americans write their congress people, sign petitions, protest, or just plain blog. There's a stealthy flow of information circulating the net, undermining the media; Thanks to an educated and inspired few."

"A few days ago, Bush came to St. Louis. Protesters were there, showing their objections to the change in overtime thing. Bush (supposedly) never knew they were there. Last year, Bush came to St. Louis. Protesters were there, showing their objections. Bush never saw them. I know he never saw them because they were kept on a side street a quarter of a mile away. This is happening all over the country!"

On The War
"What would 90 Million dollars, the amount spent on the war this year, buy?
Free lunch every day for every working American for a year. (bread, milk, carrot sticks, lunchmeat and an apple) or 1700 new hospitals. or 6300 new schools with internet access and 6 computers in each classroom. or900,000 city park renovations. or 1,800,000,000 hospital cafeteria meals for a couple. or 18,000,000,000 home cooked meals for a family of 3"

"The United States of America, winner of the Cold War and all around "good guy" needs to prepare for a new (old) problem. We are going to have battle-scarred, shell-shocked, embittered and disillusioned men and women returning to raise the children that their families have been caring for. There will be no place in society for them. There will be no jobs. There will be no help from the military that used them so poorly. And their children will suffer in silence."

"And here I was thinking that the National Guard was designed to guard our nation."

"Playground bullies engage in terrorism, as do drug dealers, militant groups, activist groups and entire governments. Why do we turn a blind eye to some of it, and bomb the snot out of people for other acts of terrorism? Why is it acceptable for a child to be abused at school (or home) by another child, yet unacceptable for a small group of people to blow up a bus? Why do we smile at Greenpeace, laugh at PETA, ignore the inner-city, and squash Afghanistan? Why do we need to add cute little prefixes to terrorism? If it's ecoterrorism, is it somehow more special than just regular terrorism?"


On Sept. 11th
"Elections were postponed, our borders were closed, all non military flights were grounded, no stocks were sold. Our country sent warships to protect the East coast, and make the ports less of a target. The President was still flying around in an empty sky, and average people dug through rubble looking for survivors, and looking for hope."

On Spaceflight
"There are moments in everyone's life that make us great.
Entering a burning building to save a life. Standing before a tank in a public square- and dying for it. Hugging a child, hugging an adult, hugging a stranger, touching another. Sending a living being off this planet and BRINGING HIM/HER HOME AGAIN; not once, not twice, but more than a thousand times! When did these things become cliche? These acts lift our heads from the muck and mire of our daily crap, and remind us that life covers the whole wide world!"

On Politics
"I have always thought of the idea of seeing the ten commandments outside a courthouse as being rather appropriate. Perhaps they can modify the existing monument to cover some of the major laws of our country, without imposing their religious beliefs...
THOU SHALL NOT STEAL
THOU SHALL NOT RAPE
THOU SHALL NOT LIE IN COURT
THOU SHALL NOT KILL
Gee, that covers the basics. They can stick HONOR THY MOTHER AND FATHER over at the Juvenile Courthouse; and while they're at it, Divorce court should get TREASURE THY CHILDREN ABOVE ALL WORLDLY POSSESSIONS and THOU SHALL NOT BICKER"

On The World
"Fulfillment comes with greeting the morning sun, feeling the breeze, listening as the world speaks with myriad voices, -whispering- I am!"

"Sometimes it's fun to roll around in your personal pile of trash. It's like visiting an old friend. It's comfortable, and when you climb out and brush yourself off, the world looks so beautiful!"

"I believe I have drawn enough chaos to me and my loved ones now. Thank you Universe for the crazy drivers, the heart palpitations, the stressed-out children, the near-miss with our bank account and the flooding of the downstairs bathroom. I really appreciate the heads-up you've sent me. I've gotten the message, and I hope you're done now, because we're getting the tree taken out this week, and I can see how that's a big opportunity for chaos."

"There is a tremendous thunderstorm outside right now. It sounds like the Gods are moving furniture across a hardwood floor."

"Cash is a great validation."

"I saw a goofy couple learning how to shop together. They didn't have the foggiest idea what they were supposed to buy for their household. It seemed like every aisle I went down, there they were -discussing the mathematics of food. It was amusing, and brought back memories of my first dozen shopping expeditions as a married woman. "I will eat X amount of this... B will eat X amount... is 2X greater or less than Y amount posted on the box?" The figuring then gets into the ratio of leftovers divided quality of taste, subtracting time as an exponential factor."

"I guess some people are attracted to the mundane."

about fairy tales "I thought dragons swiped princesses to teach them how to work. It would serve two purposes. The dragon gets it's scales cleaned, and the princess learns the value of work, growing up to be a good queen."


On Quinn
"I propose a toast to The Mighty Quinn, King of the Wild Things, lover of heavy machinery on wheels, and keeper of the mommy hair. Thank you for sharing your time here with so many."

No comments: