Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Defining Moments ... but what do they define?

Perhaps CNN should be callng their 25 year review "Moments that kept you glued to our channel, thank you." Or some such. But anyway.

Flipping channels before handing the remote over to L (who just crawled out of bed. Sheesh,) I caught this little snippet from CNN: "Tell us what news event stands out in your mind over the past 25 years." September Eleventh, duh. But there's another one. This is the story.

I was very pregnant with my son. The hubby-man and I had gone out to buy the last of the baby things we thought we'd need. We came home with fast-food and onesies and a useless baby grooming set, and turned on the tv.
And we were bombing Iraq.
The air war had begun while I had been blissfully shopping.
My son would be born into war.


Later, I watched US troops drive through the desert waving bottles of water to Iraqi troops who surrendered in droves. For water.
I cradled my newborn son and cried for those men. Of course, being full of hormones, I cried over AT&T commercials, too... So I don't know if that counts.

3 comments:

Roberta S said...

These are thoughts that should be included in a "Happy Anniversary" Card to CNN. I'd like to hear it read over the air because you get it, and so many people don't.

She Dances in Dragon said...

I sent a version of this entry into CNN. They have an e-mail us your memories section. They haven't used it yet. :)

Anonymous said...

You planning on blogging again? I miss your posting....