Thursday, April 21, 2005

Understanding The End Times Movement
.
I didn't get it. I didn't get why there is such a hope for the end of the world. Then I stumbled across this short article, and I began to understand.
I'll gladly stay behind

By BRENDA PETERSON
GUEST COLUMNIST

A neighbor recently insisted I read the Left Behind series. "Especially now after 9/11," he said, "and the blessed countdown for the Rapture has begun."

"Why are you so ... well, cheerful, about the end of the Earth?" I asked him.

He gazed at me with the true alarm of deep pity. "I'm afraid you'll have a rough time of it here during the Tribulations -- plagues of locusts, frogs, viruses ... the Earth attacked by tsunamis, volcanoes, dark legions of the unsaved."

"Don't you love any of us you believe will suffer so?" I said.

This gave my neighbor a moment's pause. But then he admitted with some chagrin. "You can't blame us born-agains for at last getting our heavenly rewards. We've waited thousands of years for End Times."


There's more, of course. Including this line; the one that brought me understanding:
In complex and challenging times, apocalypse is such a simple answer. This fight-or-flight fear is hardwired into our reptilian, forest-slashing, migrating, pioneering species -- leave the Old World behind, find a New World.


It's not just the belief of fundamentalist Christians, either. Countless new-age groups believe they will soon ascend to a higher state of being, leaving behind this sorry material planet.

I wonder if there is bird song in heaven? Are there summer breezes and autumn leaves? What about snow? I wouldn't want an eternity without snowflakes. And people! Wow, people... I know a lot of you out there think humanity sucks, but I disagree. If you were given a higher state of being, through Rapture or alien intervention, or what have you; you would leave behind more than this blue and green planet. You would leave behind laughter, and that wonderful feeling when someone snuggles you. You would leave behind the simple day-to-day joys of this existance.

So I ask you, those of you who believe the end is near... What are your goals? What is it you hope for that makes it worth leaving everything you've been given?

2 comments:

Mike D. said...

I stumbled across your blog and read some interesting comments..... I understand that you don't know what we "born agains" want to leave for..... well the Bible says that when we leave here ( which is an awesome environment) that we get to go live in a place where there will be no sexist bigots singing about your redhair, there will be no more sickness or death. In a place that we cannot even imagine the beauty of it all!!! Why we will be living with the creator himself. Now you may not be amazed by this or even believe it. that is your choice.... but it sounds pretty inviting to me. Have a good one. I enjoyed your writing on here. You sound like a nice person.

She Dances in Dragon said...

Thank you, Mike.