Sunday, April 10, 2005

Abby Normal's Brain
.
We did yardwork! All friggin day, we did yardwork. We moved fire wood and dug holes, and spread dirt around to level the yard. And then L spent the night with a friend, while the hubby-man and I propped our feet up before the outdoor fireplace and enjoyed a well-deserved rest.

There's not a whole lot you can do in front of an outdoor fire in the middle of a city. Especially when your neighbor's children are still out playing and you don't have a privacy fence. So we sat and listened to the fire crackle. And damn, it was nice.
We also discussed randomly.

The hubby-man mentioned that there was a time when he thought of Humanity as a failed experiment. I turned and stared at him. He pointed out that most people are miserable for much of their lives. They live their lives in boxes of made of limited curiosity. They never look up, and they rarely look out.
These people live life as if the goal is to make it out alive.
And that baffles me. I can not conceive of such a life. How can you be here and not want to take advantage of it?
You have eyes with which to see the endless variety of the world. How can you see it and not marvel? Your nose can pick out the scent of a loved one in the midst of a crowd. How is that not wonderful? Only chicken tastes like chicken. Alligator tastes like alligator, no matter what the pundits say. I could go on and on. And yet...

And yet, someone who lacks one or more of these common senses seems happier to be here than the average man.

I don't get it. I don't want to get it. This life, this here, this now, is precious to me beyond measure. And apparently, that makes me abnormal.

So what do you think? Is your day to day life something to be got through? If so please tell me why, because I don't understand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some days, my days ARE something to be gotten through, yes. Losing Quinn - the things that used to sparkle and be beautiful when he was here - not so much anymore. It's like going through a world that was once in colour and now everything is in black and white. Some days I can out some colour back in, and others, it is greyer than ever.

and if Bush and his cronies have their way everything will be all grey for everyone - who needs an environment anyway, right?

achromic said...

I've met those people, the anhilist (my name) my own hubby has even said stuff like that. IDK I have had days where I don't want to be here on this planet living this life..... but I've lived next to an elementry school most of my life... and you look at all those kids running around with all that energy and hope how can you think that we have failed?

Just recently I was reading Newsweek and it had some of the top inventors/CEO compter type people in it (that are well still alive) and you know what... there were so many from our generation. I was soo proud. We took what was science fiction about computers and made it real.... us, we, did that. And we con't to do that by useing the tech that these folks come up with. WOW! Who knows what other sci-fi idea we will be able to make reality next...

Optima said...

10 years ago I started to see life, actually see. It took almost almost loosing my life to be able to open my eyes and see the world around me. To enjoy the good with the bad and stop blaming people for what has happened or what "might" happen.

It would be great if more people where to learn that we all live only one day at a time and that is all we have- this ONE day, these minutes and we need to get all we can out of them.

I am just glad that my eyes opened before it was too late to see the beauty, passion & pain in this world. Now there is never enough hours in a day, no matter how I feel.