Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ah, Weather
.
The alarm went off at 6:40 this morning, just like it does 5 days a week. I Woke, but couldn't stretch out because there was a mass of cats laying on and around my legs. They had been stressed and demanding cuddles throughout the day yesterday. I had no idea why. (we got a 4.0 quake this morning, that's why)
Anyway, at 6:40 a.m. the quake hadn't happened, thus every cat in the house was laying on me.
I tried to nudge them off, but my knees didn't seem to want to bend. Like my leg muscles had forgotten how to pull my legs straight, or something. I hate mornings like that.
I hit the snooze button a few times, hoping my legs would remember how to move. each time the alarm went off (BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!), I would see little cat ears prick up; followed by little cat eyes -peering over my hip. Not that they could be bothered to, I dunno... GET OFF ME, perhaps?
At 7:10, I decided I had to get up. My legs still weren't responding; but my nice, strong tummy muscles worked fine, and pulled me into a sitting position.
All 3 cats stood up, yawning and stretching as if the alarm hadn't been going off every 9 minutes. Yeah right. You aren't fooling anybody, you damnable furballs.
I dropped my legs off the side of the bed and made a few whimpering noises -just in case my hubby was awake enough to take pity on me. The hubby-man acknowledged my pain with a grunt, but slept on. Ah, well. It was worth a shot.
I stood up (by sheer willpower alone, I think) and miraculously, my legs remembered to hold my weight.
Amazing!
Of course, now that I was standing, I didn't want to sit down. So I fed the cats, checked their water (and the water for the reptiles, and while I was at it I may as well refill the fountain too), knocked on L's door to wake him, took a potty break, knocked a second time, tossed him some clean gym clothes, and finally, turned on the morning news. It was 7:22.

The morning news has a temperature thingy in the corner. I looked at the displayed temp and thought, "I should have known." After all, wasn't I just saying to Dr. Pozzi that my legs don't work right below 20 degrees? It was 19 degrees outside. Fancy that. :)
The bit I don't understand is this:
It's 74 degrees in the house all winter long. It's not like it's cold, or anything. So why, when in the house mind you, why don't my legs work when the outside temperature is 20 or lower?

It's a scientific mystery.

No comments: