Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Geek Speak
.
My hubby is getting some quotes for computers and servers and such, and I can only hear his side of the conversation. So I hear things like this:
"I need a raid controller" and picture hordes of digitized barbarians trying to squeeze through an hourglass shaped "raid controller"; thus controlling the flow of their "raid".

He's going to laugh at me when he reads this.

A raid controller is, in actuality, a device that allows you to share data on multiple hard drives in such a way that if one drive fails, you still have access to all the data. Thus it has everything to do with MAGIC and has nothing whatever to do with barbarians.

Quote from hubby-man, "RAID is an acronym for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Devices or Independant Disks or some such combination of the last 2 words. Both are accepted."

1 comment:

Andrew McAllister said...

I'd prefer to think of it as a device to keep out the Mongul hordes - so much more romantic an image.

To Love, Honor and Dismay
-