Monday, October 17, 2005

Names
.
I make up names for everything I encounter in physical therapy. There are names, of course, for the exercises and treatments... Like "ultrasound hurty-thing" and "flying saucer" (a device that's a disk mounted on half a sphere)Today I got a new one. The pillow. Um, ouch. The pillow looks at first like a blue, textured freeweight, minus the hole in the middle. But it's squishy and filled with air. It stretches the whole bottom of my foot and I have to work all kinds of small muscles to keep my balance. I tried to do the pillow one-footed. I really, really tried. And I'm not quite there yet. (sigh)

Anyway, I really wanted to talk about the other patients I meet at PT. I have names for them, too. There's Muscular Stretchy Guy. He's an athlete recovering from a shoulder injury. He does a lot of stretches. The Pink Lady does a lot of leg exercises. Some days she's the Yellow Lady. She has 2 identical sets of workout clothes. Identical except for the color. So her name changes according to which outfit she wears.
One day, I shared space with a woman who had a 2 foot scar running from her thigh to her shin. I dubbed her Major Surgery, but there's a new Major Surgery now. I met him today. He's had 2 back surgeries and has lost a lot of sensation in his extremities. It's weird to see a physically fit man struggle to lift a 3 lb. weight. For you Canadians, that's about 1 and a half kilograms.
I also met Coma Boy today, AKA I've Been Shot, "The doctor says I'm lucky I didn't lose my leg", and Mr. I Can't. I think I'm going to stick with Coma Boy. It seems nicer than Mr. I Can't. He was a little bit miffed about having to share his PT with me and Major Surgery. I didn't mind. It gave us all a chance to talk. Coma Boy wishes he could see more progress. I'm thinking that if you're missing half your calf, there are certain things you just won't be able to do. You have to learn new ways to do them, and that takes a lot of time. Our PT got on him for not doing his exercises frequently enough. Believe me, it's easy to let those exercises slide. However, the PT always knows when you've been slacking. She busted me on it last visit. She knew just the right button to push, too. She noted that my calf muscle was smaller. Grrrr.
So today I was proud to say, "I've been a good girl this weekend. I did my "lifts" several times a day." Jodie (my PT) said, "Hear that?" to Coma Boy, "SEVERAL TIMES a DAY. Not several times a month." Apparently that was the thing that might push his button. I didn't mind.

4 comments:

achromic said...

Wow! I think it is great that you are getting all this physical therepy, I think personally if they had done more about this for me after my first surgery then I would not have so much problems now (not to say I would have problem free). But I never got the support I needed and to tell the truth I didn't even know I needed the support to begin with.

BTW that photo up top is awsome! IT looks like some fericsome angel/creture streaching it's fingers down to to earth. Did you take it? Would you mind if I asked for it to put on my desktop?

She Dances in Dragon said...

LOL. The photo is the Giant Spaghetti Monster. If you click it, it'll take you to the GSM website. The pic is on the right hand side and they give permission to snag it and use it as wallpaper. :D
As for the PT, I spent a lot of time thinking about whether I needed it or not. Then I fiddled around making phone calls for a week to make sure my insurance would cover it. I really struggled with myself over asking for outside help before I could actually make an appt. for therapy. I'm so glad I did.

achromic said...

You are blazing a trail for me with the PT thing, just taking away the fear of the unknown and telling your story of things gives me an idea of what they might decide about me too. If you find the time I'd like to hear more about your story in it and perhaps share what others on your "team" have done or are suppose to do etc.

LOL I see now that I click on the image. Spaggetti Monster... LOL I think it looks far to graceful for such a silly name but then I think that the Higher Powers that Be have a great sense of humor.

She Dances in Dragon said...

Oops. That would be the FLYING Spaghetti Monster. My bad.