Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Thank You Universe

Sarah has been selling my shea butter with comfrey and lavender at Soulard Market. Last weekend, a couple stopped at the table and the wife dabbed a bit on her arthritic hands. They walked away, and then they turned around and came back; because her hands had stopped hurting. They bought a tub and came to my website. This savvy couple researched comfrey (they were already familiar with shea butter -like I said, savvy)and this week they contacted me. (woot) They would like to mass distribute my comfrey oil! They bought all my stock! (ok, so it was only 5 bottles, but it was my entire stock. I am so excited. Words don't describe the uplifted, hopeful feeling I have right now. Ever since I started working with comfrey, I've thought it should be in every medicine cabinet. It's not a miracle cure, but by god it's a help.

It has never been my intention to get rich selling an herbal ointment. My goals are a lot simpler. I'd like to help pay for L's schooling, and if I make a lot of money, I'd like to fund some studies on comfrey and/or arthritis. I'd like to find out what it is in comfrey that causes the pain relief. I'd like to see a cure for arthritis in my lifetime. A real cure, even if that puts The Earth's Cauldron out of business. Would I trade my small business for a cure? You bet I would. In a second. I don't even need to think about that one.

So I'm hope filled.

I discussed pricing with the couple that want to distribute my oil. We are on the same page. Senior citizens generally have a fixed income, and it's never enough. If you charge too little, people won't use it. If you charge too much, those with the greatest need can't afford it. We both agree, make it affordable.

Now the only problem is the plastic containers. I do use a plastic that is easily recyclable, and it has some recycled plastic mixed in. But I'd like to do better. Glass roll on bottles aren't practical for the consumer. They don't come in the right size, they're heavier to ship, and they're breakable. (sigh) One step at a time, I guess.

Also, I bought a gallon of extra virgin olive oil yesterday and ordered 30 more roll-ons from Camden Grey. I so highly recommend them for manufacturers. They are truly great people.

No comments: