Sunday, October 03, 2004

One Month Of Madness

He does this to me every year, and secretly -I love it. First it was Ash Ketchum, before Ash costumes were available. So I cobbled it together by hand. I sewed and dyed and made little badges from colored sculpey. We even found a Pokemon League hat. And everyone said, "Who are you?"
A few years of store bought costumes passed. And then it was Harry Potter, before HP got hot. A "scream" robe converted nicely to a Hogwarts robe, and a little liquid latex made a good lightning bolt shaped scar. He already had the glasses, so all we needed was a bit of tape. Again, nobody knew who he was; but it was worth it to hear my 4th grader say, "I'm Harry Potter! Don't you read?"
He's been a knight in shining plastic armor 3 times -once with me as the dragon. Thank you Persephone, for sewing that awful red pleather. I couldn't have done it without you!
Last year he was Gambit. Persephone saved me again by making the modified trench coat. I made the headpiece, breastplate and boots. And everything but the coat fell apart. Well, at least Persephone knows how to make a costume. :)
This year he wants to be (brace yourself)...
Han Solo.
Guess what I can't find to buy?
Han Solo.
I get to make the whole thing, from blaster to boots. So I need leather, sheet aluminium, a toy gun that can be modified, paint and fabric. Thank you L, for the challenges you present me!
Every year I get to learn a whole new skill. I think it's the primary joy of being a stay home mom. I've promised myself that I will not ask Persephone for help this year. She has 3 children of her own to make costumes for. I feel guilty yet relieved every year she comes to my rescue. She has been generous beyond measure, and I appreciate every bit of it.

No comments: