Saturday, May 15, 2004

Joy and Sorrow

A yahoo news headline today reads: "Path Clear for Same-Sex Marriages in Mass." Which, of course, fills me with joy. Then I started reading the article. That's where the sadness comes in. The journalist who wrote the article included several quotes that I find downright offensive. Although I applaud her willingness to cover the opinions of the religious right; their statements were like a slap in the face. If you've come here via a search engine, know this: I'm straight. I'll be celebrating my 14th wedding anniversary in July. I know some gay people, but I'm not on truly intimate terms with any of them. Onward to the offensive quotes!

' "The problem is they're being told that their sin is wonderful and fine," said Sandy Rios, former president of Concerned Women for America,'

"I know the best, safest place for a child to be raised is in a stable home with one mother and one father,"

(sigh) Sin is defined differently from religion to religion. The laws of a religion were designed to protect their community. Simply put, honoring one's parents is a good idea for the community. Murder and theft are bad for a community. And there are grey areas. Should you honor the parents who abuse you? Do abusive parents bring strength to a community? No. What about sentencing a mass-murderer to death? A repeat killer gives nothing of value to a community; yet, to abide by a law, "Thou shall not kill"; the community must provide for a killer, while keeping him/her from killing again. What is the cost of life imprisonment? What are the benefits to the community? Does the cost balance with the benefit? (Actually, I think it does. I could buy a bauble, and feel good about myself... Or I could forfeit the price of a bauble to support a life -thereby feeling good about myself.)
As for the second quote, I do not know that the best, safest place for a child to be raised is in a stable home with one mother and one father.

Missouri citizens will be voting in November on an amendment to ban gay marriage. The prospect fills me with despair. I would so like to see marriage available to all partners; regardless of sex, ethnicity, religious affiliations, lack of religious affiliations, income level, or societal status. But this is Missouri. The cities of St. Louis and Kansas City have some forward thinking people, but the rest is all bible-belt. Another thing that fills me with despair, is that now that we have an amendment on the ballot, Bush will be visiting more than ever!
Waaaaah!

No comments: