Sunday, February 15, 2004

Get this party started

It's 4:26 pm. I am late for a party. I was supposed to bring the massage table, and I'm not going to. See, last week I bumped my knee on the refrigerator. I knew I'd done some serious damage when the limits-of-my-threshold pain subsided, thanks to endorphins. Because I'm an idiot, and refuse to accept it when I'm hurt, I rushed to Persephone's house to get the coffee I'd left there. I knew I had less than an hour before the endorphins wore off. Once home, I smeared comfrey all over my knee and hoped for the best. The comfrey only lasted a few hours. Next I tried ibuprofen. I took 3, where I usually take one, and smeared comfrey all over the knee again. I amused myself by watching the bruise grow and poking at the puffiness around it. The ibuprofen only lasted a few hours. Ok, now I knew I'd done serious serious damage.
I thought, "It's not broken, I can still walk on it. I didn't tear anything, I can still walk on it... I don't need an x-ray, I can still walk on it." etc.

We have a variety of prescription painkillers in the house, because Hubby has degenerative disk disease in his neck. He offered me valium and percocet, but I refused. I had to drive L to school in the morning. So I dosed myself with Ny-Quil and went to bed. The next day was bad, but what can ya do? I pushed on. That night, ibuprofen and comfrey were my friends again. At least until I woke at 4:08 am. It felt like my kneecap was split in two. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours trying to meditate the pain away enough to make it to the medicine cabinet. When I finally stood up, those good old endorphins kicked in, so I used the time to rush L to school and make it back to the sofa. My whole week has been like that. Meditation, medication and pain receptor overload. I really want to massage! And I'd be a fool to try it on one leg. I had 3 lined up this week, the most customers I've had in months! dammit. We don't need the cash, yet I really wanted the work. I like to work.
Yesterday, my body let me know it had had enough. I got my first ever migraine. Ibuprofen and peppermint oil made it bearable, but it was the final straw. I called Persephone and canceled on the massages. I still baked a batch of chocolate covered espresso cookies, though. I'm wondering if I can just drop them off and get out. I know Persephone will understand, but I feel like I'm letting her down big time.
It's been a week! I should be fine!
and I'm not
and I hate it
and I don't want to go to the doctor, get yet another x-ray of my knee, and be given a bunch of pain pills I probably won't take.
Because I'm stubborn that way.

No comments: