Thursday, February 12, 2004

Gay Marriage and Stem Cells

Both are top headlines today. CNN just can't say enough about them. Rather than spout my opinions at length, I'm gonna spout my thoughts at brief. :)

Korean scientists cloned some embryos and harvested the stem cells. So what if a soul decided to live the briefest of lives, by inhabiting a few-day old cluster of cells? Would the soul live within the stem cells? Would the soul survive, and like any transplant -grow-live-thrive? Are there any souls out there who want to spend some time here swarming in a petri dish? I believe that souls choose.
Also, here are a few things stem cells might be able to do some day:
Give your grandmother sight again.
Give a newborn a proper heart.
Give a survivor of violent crime a new limb.
Give a paraplegic a way to walk.
Grow a new uterus, ovaries or cervix.
Grow a new prostate, colon or testicles.
Cure Alzheimers. Cure cancer. Cure AIDs?
End arthritis.
Create hope.
Think of one more thing and add it to the list!

Gay Marriage
I've heard the arguments against it, and I remain unconvinced. The worst agreement, the one that makes my blood boil is the stupid, "God says marriage is between one man and one woman." So change the wording

Reprint every tax form, questionnaire and survey. Change "marriage" to "union". For everyone! I've been legally unioned -unionized(?) to my hubby for 13+ years. On our 5th anniversary, we were handfasted. I got "married" in front of the Gods and everybody. Is there a difference? Well, yes, there is. I waited 5 years for a ceremony that included religion. Legally is there a difference? No. From the second our legal union was recorded; I got insurance benefits, death benefits, joint property rights, and the ability to hold my partner's hand in a hospital room. I have the right to speak for my husband when he is indisposed. Phone rings. "Is (name) there?" "He's not available. This is his wife, may I help you?"

Denying gay marriage is no different than denying blacks or women the right to vote. It is no different from denying property rights. This country has spent 238 years working toward "All are created equal". Take a minute to remember that.

No comments: