Tuesday, May 13, 2003

This morning, I masterfully ignored the opportunity to expose my son to violence, thank you very much. But damn, it was tough!
I'm driving L to school, like I always do on weekdays, when this car comes down the suicide lane on Grand Avenue and slides into the gap between me and the car in front of me.
Right. We're all going 40 mph in a 30 mph zone, what made her think jumping in front of me would get her there any sooner? She didn't use her blinker, so I gave her the finger, and forgot about the whole thing.
She then taps her brakes for no good reason. Clearly, there's an erratic nutball in front of me, I think I'll give her some room... I slow down to 38. She taps the brakes again. Whatever, there's more than a full car length between me and miss pissy ahead of me, she can tap her brakes all she wants. (I did get that there was a dangerous person in front of me, and I was actually spending a lot of synapse power on making sure nothing happened)
My left turn is coming up, so I hit my turn signal and get into the suicide/turn lane. Bitch in front of me quickly swerves into my lane like she's going to hit me.
I had a wonderful moment of clarity where I could see my future splitting onto 2 paths. Path 1, I run this bitch down, slamming her car repeatedly with my truck then start ripping her hair out. Path 2, I get my son to school on time. I decided to get L to school on time. For a moment, I had my fiery red-head temper back, and once again I gave it up as a luxury I could not afford. I know I made the right choice, but I wish I knew what was going on with that woman today. I see her car almost every day, you see. We drive the same route at about the same time. We frequently share the road. Sometimes she's in front, sometimes I am, and we've never had a conflict before.
I wonder what's going on in my head that had me draw that aggression to me?
Ah, well. Movin' on.

No comments: