Thursday, June 30, 2005

The BBC Philharmonic Does Beethoven
.
The BBC Philharmonic challenged themselves to produce all 9 of Beethoven's symphonies, and broadcast them over the course of 6 days. Then they went and made them temporarily available for download so everyone can enjoy them. The BBC converted the symphonies into mp3s; each symphony was available for 1 week.

We already had symphonies 5 and 9 -although 9 was an incomplete version. (that's what ya get for buying cheap cd's) But now we have them all. The hubby-man has been listening to them before bed each night. We just listened to the 9th symphony.

wow.

I mean... wow.

The music just reaches inside you, grabs your soul; and when the music stops you hurt.

Mind you, Beethoven is *not* my favorite famous old composer. That honor is reserved for Mozart. Because Mozart's music fills you with sound. It's complete.
sigh. Mozart.

My favorite of his works is "Requiem in D Minor". He died before it was finished, and his students undoubtedly fiddled with it, but there are parts that are pure Mozart. They shine through the piece; and I love it.

3 comments:

Optima said...

WOW- How lucky are you!!
I am gonna have to come up with a barter to get those burnt for me! I love Mozart!
I know I still have the body butter barter, {giggle} but maybe someday soon, my barter book will have room in it to work off the copies!

achromic said...

I love Beethoven. Have you ever heard YoYo Ma's verision of some of his works? When I laied in the hospital I could hear it in my head so clear burning thru' me, taking me in. I made J. go find me some of it when I was cohernt enough to ask for it and he did and it would just take me someplace outside of the pain just for a bit.

She Dances in Dragon said...

Ah, but burning a copy would be piracy. But I can buy them when the BBC makes them available. :)