Thursday, April 01, 2004

How We Did It

I picked L up from school, and we drove to the Lou Fusz dealership at Manchester and Lindbergh. We were supposed to meet the Hubby-Man there. We arrived, but the Hubby-Man was nowhere in sight. It seemed a useless excercise to look for his car. After all, his 8 month old Toyota Matrix wouldn't stand out at all on a lot full of Toyotas. So we headed inside. We passed a saleswoman, who declared, "Hi!" as she put license plates on a newly sold car. I mentally marked her, so I could find her later. I knew we were actually buying, and I wanted this friendly woman to get the sale.
Inside the dealership, and a variety of salesmen perked up; but none dared approach me. I laughed inside at what they must be thinking... "A woman and a child... are they buying or just looking?" " Does she have money?" I had dressed specifically for the occasion. (my friends are laughing as they read this, I know) Instead of my usual sweats or yoga pants with an oversized t-shirt, I was in jeans and a silk t-shirt. I had straightened my hair. I wore make up. And, as always, I walked upright and with confidence.
Not one salesman approached. Fine. The friendly saleswoman gets my business. :p

Except the Hubby-Man was nowhere to be seen. That could only mean one thing. He was out on a test drive. Without me.
He got here first, found a salesperson, picked a truck and was probably halfway to buying it. Without me.
I was miffed. I wanted to do all that stuff.When he climbed out of the truck, I went up to him and started whopping him on the arm. Totally playful, of course. I doubt he even felt them through his leather jacket.

We debated getting the 4WD that he'd just driven, vs getting a 2 wheel drive with a double cab. Those bonus doors would come in handy, and the colors were better. It might be worth it to give up 4WD, just to have the extra cab space.
The gas mileage was the deciding factor. I begrudge every MPG. We couldn't wait 6 years for Toyota's promised hybrid truck, and a truck is what we need. But Gods, do I resent the gas use. How can I bitch at SUV drivers, when a truck is almost as wasteful?

I test drove the 4WD, and got maybe 600 yards before I'd made up my mind. It drives so beautifully! We bought a gold Tacoma with an extended cab and 4 wheel drive. Other nice features include tilt-steering, power windows and mirrors, cruise control, 6 speaker surround sound, cd player, alarm system, and truly adjustable seatbelts. No seatbelt scraping my neck, thanks!

No comments: