Monday, November 06, 2006

My Voting Dilemma
.
I live in Missouri. I can't stand the Democrat candidate for the Senate. I *really* can't stand her. I don't know what her political aspirations are, but I don't have any faith that her aspirations have anything to do with representing *me* or *my* concerns.
Her Republican opponent, while a decent guy; is completely unpalatable to me. He is pro-life, anti-homosexual rights, anti-stem cell research, pro-war and voted perks for big businesses while Missouri was (and still is) unable to provide the basics for our poor. Missouri has cut medicare, medicaid, food stamps, AFDC, and funding for sliding-scale clinics. Missouri's governor has closed several free clinics, cut school funding, and raised taxes. He has done that because Republicans have voted repeatedly to cut federal funding. Suddenly, a state that had consistently been able to meet it's citizens needs, was running in the red. (Talk about a RED STATE, sigh.)

Normally, If I can't stand either Republican or Democrat candidate, I vote independant. I can't afford to do that this time. My home state cannot afford another term from Jim Talent, and the United States cannot afford another round of corrupt Republican rule.

I'm not saying that Jim talent himself is corrupt. I'm saying that the Republican party as a whole is corrupt. I feel sorry for the decent Republican candidates, because their party's policies are bringing them down. It's insulting and degrading to those Republicans who genuinely have the best interests of our country in mind.

Fortunately, the Democratic party has been moving more and more toward the center. Most of the "liberal" Democrats vote along the same lines as the "conservative" Republicans of 20 years ago.

So. Even though I want to slap the TV every time I see Claire McCaskill's face on it; I'm swallowing my bile and voting for her.
(gag)

I also have serious doubts about the integrity of my vote. With as tight as the race is in Missouri, I wonder if we'll be the next Ohio or Florida. Are we next in line for obvious vote fraud? Will we encounter impossibly long lines, obstruction, misplaced votes, or outright vote theft? I just don't have any confidence at all.

And if I don't vote, I won't be part of the count - miscount - or recount. So vote I shall. I'll also be bringing my fully charged cell phone. We have plenty of minutes that I can use to let people call in late for work or report any kind of voter abuse. I don't care which party someone is voting for, either. Our votes (should be) sacrosanct -untouchable-. And nothing nor anybody is going to stop *my* vote. :p

No comments: