Monday, November 06, 2006

Angry
.
I've been angry all day, and I didn't know why. After listening to a crapload of political news, I understand my anger now.
I DON'T TRUST THAT OUR VOTES WILL BE COUNTED.

And I hate that.

On my 18th birthday, I registered to vote. I have voted in every election except one since then. (I just forgot to vote that day) I have been voting for 19 years. Every time, I hope that what I favor passes and who I choose wins -but if they don't, they don't. The people have spoken. I had faith in the system; if not in the intellect of the masses.

But then the Florida recount of the presidential votes was disrupted by right wing rioting religious groups. Remember. It wasn't that long ago. They blocked the doorways, clogged the halls, and eventually broke down the doors in one recount office. The entire office had to move to a secure location. JUST TO COUNT OUR VOTES.

As a result, not all the votes were counted in time; and Bush became President.

4 years later - votes were lost, added, subtracted, or changed. Not just in a few districts in Ohio. There were problems across the country. Our government did nothing. And Bush remained President. And this isn't about the President. There have been voting problems everywhere there has been a tight race over *anything*. People have been turned away from the polls, experienced excessively long lines, or suffered ballot mis-management for local elections and mid-terms too.

My mom, who is a Republican election judge, had an incident where no one was coming in to vote during one of those small elections. She went outside and saw that the Fire Department had blocked off the entrance to the polling place, and an officer was directing people away. (Admittedly, the police officer thought the polling place had been closed. He really wasn't trying to cause problems. But if it can happen over a misunderstanding, think what could be done on purpose!) My mother dutifully reported the incident, cleared up the misunderstanding, and got the officer to tell people the polling place was still open and safe. To his credit, the cop stuck around for hours, making sure people knew they could vote.

My mom lives in a politically mixed neighborhood. She has taken to marking the boundaries of the polling "no pester zone" with chalk, and the judges take turns standing outside to keep voters from feeling intimidated. I find that necessity outrageous.

And I feel threatened and defensive. I don't expect any problems voting tomorrow at my particular polling place; and I'm terrified about what might happen at some of the other places. Every vote should count. Every voter should feel secure while entering or exiting the polls. Every voter should be able to have faith that their elections are secure. Are they?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting you mention about how immensely frustrating not being able to truly trust the people counting your votes is. Here in New Zealand I think the thing that makes me feel most proud is that on election days there is no political advertising anywhere, there are no long queues, there have been no controversies about vote counting. On election day everyone takes the opinion of "right... you've probably made up your mind already... I'm not concerned about who you vote for just please go out and vote". Perhaps the stakes aren't quite so high here, so there isn't the temptation to mess around with things quite so much. Or perhaps we just value the democratic process over and above the result?

The thought of having to queue to vote, or having confusing voting slips that are easy to mess up seems just abhorrent to me. I mean if a country like NZ can get it right... surely the US can?

If I sound a bit arrogant it's unintentional. Here in New Zealand the US elections in many ways influence our lives almost as much as our own elections when it comes to global issues. And we don't have a say about what happens.

She Dances in Dragon said...

Josh, I agree with you 100%
I don't see it as arrogant at all, and I envy you your freedom and ease of voting :D
Voting was like that here when I was younger. It's gotten pretty ugly in the last 8 years.

I'm glad you stopped by, I lost your link when I upgraded to blogger beta. Heh, I lost everyone's link. I've been trying to find everyone again in my (snort) spare time.

amylynn said...

I am also concerned with the addition of electronic voting. The US has been "tinkering" with the right to vote since the abolition of slavery. And, although Joshua doesn't seem arrogant to me at all, maybe the stakes aren't as high because NZ doesn't produce candidates such as Bush and Buchanan....no idea....just a guess.

Anonymous said...

Ah I don't want to get overly optimistic about NZ's political scene. We have our own shockers... though not quite on the scale of Bush.