Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ultimate Slur?
.
I'm using the computer, and CNN is providing some background noise. In other words, I'm not really listening to the news. However, a reporter was yacking about some politician making racial comments while he was in college. According to a former football team mate, he used "The ultimate racial slur". He "used the 'N' word repeatedly" during his college years.

It got me to pondering... what specifically is the "ultimate" racial slur? Wouldn't it be a subjective thing? When someone tells me they'd rather be dead than red on the head, I consider it a deliberate insult. A slur, if you will. My cousin considers it an insult if someone calls him a wetback because he has brown skin and a mild hispanic accent. I imagine anyone wearing a turban or shora would object to being called a rag-head. I would say each of these are the "ultimate" insult to the person being insulted; but that none of these are the penultimate insult on a universal scale.
Perhaps "human" or "monkey boy" is the "ultimate" insult... although I don't consider being a bipedal creature with opposable thumbs and a large brain an insult. Maybe I'll feel differently if space aliens come and make fun of me.

I can see it now... "Ha, ha. Stupid monkey being. You can't even get out of your own solar system!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that "ultimate slur" is merely an American cultural definition, due our history. We have no "official" history of us enslaving the "wetback, rag-wearing redheads"!

She Dances in Dragon said...

LOL! OMG, that's a roll on the floor laugh making comment. I can picture getting out of the shower with an old towel wrapped around my hair, only to find some dude with shackles... There to enslave the wetback rag-wearing redhead. Giggle.

Anonymous said...

I can see you now, tap-dancing on the auction block, ala Gregory Hines in 'History of the World'!