Wednesday, October 04, 2006

And This Year...
.
*UPDATE* We are skipping the costume this year. Not because it's too difficult, but because of the cost. We could buy everything on the list, or we could buy DVD's and maybe some steak. L decided he would get more enjoyment from DVD's and steak.
...
L wants to be Roy Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist. Actually, he *really* wanted to be a knight after a battle with a dragon. Right... I spent most of the summer thinking about forging steel, how to make puncture marks from dragon teeth, where to char the suit, where to melt the suit, how to melt the suit, etc.
Last week, I gave up and suggested Roy instead. Thankfully, he jumped on the idea. Whew!
His feet are so big, that even his dad's old army boots won't fit (even if I could find them). So. After looking at all the pictures and browsing professional pattern companies; I've made a list of needed materials:
Rit dye stripper (got it)
Rit royal blue dye (got it)
Sculpey and findings to make insignia (got it)
Silver paint (got it)
Gloss black spray paint (got it)
White butcher paper to make pattern (got it)
Measuring tape and note pad (got it)
Silver or grey bias tape
Gold braid
1 pair khaki school pants (got it -see dye stripper)
3 1/2 yards heavy cotton fabric or cotton/poly blend that matches the khaki pants
Pull on rubber boots (to be painted gloss black -cheapest method I can think of)
White dress gloves
Red paint or red embroidery thread (got it)
Thread
Access to a sewing machine (got it)
Scissors (got 'em)
Yard stick (got it)
Compass for drawing curves (got it)

The 3 1/2 yards is a random number I made up based on previous costumes. I'll know how much fabric I need after drawing up the pattern. No, I won't sell it to you. I might sell the costume next year, though. And I will do my best to detail my efforts here, so that those desperate parents who find me via a search engine can replicate the costume.

No comments: