Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Patriotism?

Bloghopping led me here, and the top entry began with this:

"Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Your Reading Assignment for Today

Know the difference between

Patriotism

Nationalism

National Mysticism

Jingoism"

Which reminded me of a debate I had with my mother-in-law, around the time of Sept. 11th (2001, of course)
I had declared that I was deeply patriotic, and she had replied, "No you're not. You don't like (respect) the President."
I said it then, and I'll type it again now... I love my country. I love this land. I love the people who live here. Well, most of them, anyway.
I don't have to love the current President in order to be a patriot. According to Wikipedia, (thank you No Touch Monkey for saving me research minutes) "Patriotism is a feeling of love and devotion to one's own country."
So there you have it. I'm a patriot, and I still think Bush is a turd.

No comments: