Friday, June 04, 2004

A Movie Review

Just saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It's damn good. The directing (to my surprise) was excellent, the editing was decent, the special effects were downright fabulous. I know that all the changes to the story line were approved by JKR, but I was disappointed nonetheless. I liked the story as it was written. There are glaring differences between the book and the movie; however, the movie definitely fits with the Harry Potter world. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is shorter than the previous movies, finishing in a mere 2 hours and 20 minutes. There are no slow points during which you could rush out for more popcorn, so get your snacks in quantity -if you feel you need them ;)

You can expect more and flashier magic (yay!) and a good flow from start to finish. Many of the problems I had with the movie-version of the HP world have been corrected; which I appreciated, but the corrections (read: changes) drove the Hubby-Man up a wall.

There were a few bits that I thought were integral to the story line, that were missing. I had better see them on the DVD. I also expect to see Academy nods for cinematography, special effects, and possibly directing. The movie is filled with those little touches that make it realistic.

Overall, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is well worth the price of admission. But leave the toddlers at home. HP's world is dark, and I hate to hear little kids cry.

No comments: