Saturday, October 18, 2008

Home!

L did great with his morning and afternoon physical therapy. No, it wasn't fun at all, and he did it. Dr. Anderson came in the afternoon and talked with L about how he was feeling. He removed the dressings, checked the incision site, checked the drain site, discussed PT and declared L fit to go home.
The ride home was a little rough, but he gritted his teeth and got through it. At home, he met his new mattress, new sheets and 5 new pillows. The hubby man got him settled while I went off to Walgreens to get L's home drugs. His narcotic pain pills were $10. ($23 without the insurance discount) His muscle relaxant was $40 for 1/3rd the pills. ($113 without insurance) I'll never understand drug pricing.

Anyway, it's wonderful to be home. Especially since last night was hell night. L's been building up gas since the surgery. When you get too bloated, it hurts like hell while moving through you. Add that to an active day with 2 PT sessions and a lot of getting up and down and you've got hell. There's no drug that alleviates gas pain. They can knock you out so that you don't feel it. But that slows down your bowels and creates more gas. Better to suffer through it.

So he did. And I stayed near him and kept him company. (and helped him shift around and listened to his moans and visited the 24 hour cafeteria to buy him food to nibble on or reject. I was able to acquire a Krispy Kreme doughnut fresh off the delivery rack at around 4:30 am. This pleased him. A lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not meant to be a total dick....right after you I talked to you..that Friday (one or two days?) my mom started hospice. I need your email again. You have been in my thoughts and all my prayers, but I still don't have my shit in one sock yet. Please forgive- this is really hard, not to diminish what you, Buck, and Leo are going through. Call me and let me know how you all are.