Monday, June 26, 2006

Hubby-Man
.
My poor hubby. He's so tired. He's doing upgrades at a bunch of branches. All last week he visited different branches at 9:00 pm (closing time) and did hands on stuff; then he came home and stayed up 'til sunrise checking data flow and writing programming code.

To be honest, I don't know what he is doing, but it involves 2 monitors and streams of text running up the screens. When the text stops moving, he types. Sometimes he stops the text mid-flow and types alot.
He seems to enjoy it.

When he's done, he goes to bed. He gets up around 1:00 pm, goes to Corporate and does his regular work. He comes home at 5, takes a "power nap" until dinner; then the whole thing starts over again.

Last night (Monday morning), something went wrong. He had to visit the offending branch at opening time to reboot the system or something. The branch opens at 5 am and is 35 miles from here.
Since 5 am was only 2 hours away, he just stayed awake. By the time he got home, he'd been awake for 22 hours. So he left a message with his boss explaining that he wouldn't be at Corporate today. At 8:30 his cell phone rang. The part-time IT guy needed some help. So my groggy hubby-man gave him tech support and went back to bed. A while later the phone rang again. I think it rang a third time. I'm not sure. I do remember my hubby saying, "Can't you put it on hold? You'll have to put it on hold. I've been awake for 22 hours. It will have to wait."

And my hubby almost never makes IT people wait. He's been there himself. He knows how much it sucks to have some higher-up tell you it'll have to wait because what they're doing is more important than what you're doing. Especially when the IT department consists of a handful of people.
There's the President of the IT department. The AS400 Goddess and Hubby-Man, Grasshopper (You learn quickly, grasshopper... Soon you will be a master), and one part-time guy. These 5 people (and any assistants the AS400 Goddess has) are the glue that holds the network together. A network of 20+ branches and a resort/summer camp. Although the resort does have their own IT person on an outside contract.

The hubby-man has another week's worth of upgrades, and the whole house has switched to his sleeping schedule. I stay up 'til the birds sing; fetching drinks, rubbing his neck, and just sitting next to him so that he isn't working alone. I suppose that makes me a nice wife; but really, I couldn't see it any other way. Of course I'll be by his side. I fit there nicely.

2 comments:

~martha said...

gooooood to see you back!!!!!

HUGS

Roberta S said...

This is really, though corporate tinged, a love story, and I love Love Stories. Nice.